Tuesday, February 2, 2010

AOD 2010

Friday: Day 0; Pre-con I did not attend the hotel. However I  did stay up 24hrs prior to Friday... So I ended up falling  asleep around 10pm and woke up Saturday at 7am.

Saturday: Day 1; Woke up at 7am... Got changed into my  costume, had a lot of issues with my costume and prop... I  really wasn't happy with the overall look the screw looked  lopsided at some times of the day. It wasn't very fun wearing  it either this time around... I'm thinking of sawing off the  teeth for my next cosplay of Stein which will be Fanime.

Gloria was supposed to meet us at the BART once we got  ready however she got a ride. When we arrived at the  convention we went straight to Pre-Reg which seemed much  longer to get through compared to At-Door registration. I  didn't mind I got to speak with people in line.

Once we got our badges we went off to investigate the  convention. We already had panels lined up, which was a  good thing. People overall flipped out over my costume and  the screw which clicked. For the most part we just hung  around till Opening Ceremonies.

This was an interesting panel, got to meet the Guests of  Honor. Which is typical for all cons. Once this was over we  went to the MacHall panel which wasn't what I expected we  ended up looking at a lot of images from Ian MacHall's  computer. Pretty funny actually.

We ended up meeting up with several people through the con  however we ended up meeting with Chris and ate at Popeyes  and soon returned to the con afterward... The rest of the day  went well, went to the Dealer's Hall, Jon picked up a signed  copy of an artbook by MacHall. The New People CEO  requested to click my screw and squealed once she got to do  it... So did several other people who were amazed by it.

After all of this was done, hanging out with friends and other  people we ended up going to a Bishounen Panel which was  family friendly. It was alright, everything I knew pretty much.  The rest of the day went nicely, while I was meeting up with a  friend; Manya; a staff member from the Masquerade asked for  me to join the Masquerade; more on that later, needless to  say I accepted. Then hung out with Manya and her boyfriend.

Then I met up with Celina and Julie who were cosplaying  Medusa and Stein. Ran into another friend who cosplays  Aizen and CosplayRose who was cosplaying Amaratsu from  Okami till Masquerade... We ended up missing the party at  New People because we didn't want to take the chance to  miss the Masquerade and the line was uber long. A young man during this time walked past me saying "Steeeiinnnn~" and right before he left the room I clicked the screw and the young man flipped out; wigging out on how COOL the screw was and etc. It was pretty fun.

So I ended up in the Masquerade, Number 17. We had a briefdown in the masquerade hall and I soon went off to talk with my boyfriend and returned, chatted with Rose and a few other friends and soon the masquerade started and enjoyed it entirely. It was a lot of fun so many good skits. I especially liked Jango from One Piece's Skit, Rose's walk-on and Cooking Mama panel. Though there was one panel that stood out, but in an odd way, they lost their wigs and knocked down the mic. o_o;

When it came down to mine, my heart was pounding! I walked onto stage, people screaming out for Stein and I proceeded to take one pose, and then the second and moved the screw; the clicks echoed throughout the room and everyone screamed even louder. I finished up my skit and headed off stage. The rest of the masquerade finished and soon it was a half-time, the show was hilarious. As was the MC for the entire event.

Soon it was time to hand out the prizes. Judge's Awards went out first, and the Judge Kane absolutely loved my screw and went on about details and called me onto stage. I accepted my award and took photos. I was taken back, shocked that I would have won. I was so happy. X3

Afterwards, we headed off to the cosplay room to wait for our prizes. I said goodbye to Rose who also placed, runner up for best construction and went to the swap meet where I got a really cute little Miku figure. Swap meet was small and had a lot of con funk. .___.; After that we got changed and went home.

Sunday: Day 2; Got up early again changed into my Leeloo cosplay and headed off to the con again... Dressed in pants and a kimono shirt. I had Jon make a multipass for me I was so exhausted; I lost the multipass on the BART. And... I found out yesterday that I forgot to put my tattoo on my wrist for Leeloo (feck). In any case I went to get changed and ended up hanging out with Gloria while Jon went to a webcomic panel. I had a lot of people come up to me, asking me for photos and squealing over my Leeloo costume. This was the majority of the day, people freaking out over the costume. I had a LOT of fans for this costume and I can't wait to cosplay it again.

Not a lot of happenings on this day... I did enter the Hall Cosplay contest, didn't win but a friend of mine did. X3 Had lunch with Tatiana and some of her friends, including a Reno I had met at AnimeDestiny. Also met up with the daughter of Conpix who held a panel at Anime Destiny. Jon lost his badge sometime after, we think it got set down probably when we were taking pictures. Also Jon thought he lost his Zune, but luckily he found it yesterday... It nearly costed his fun at the convention. So those who are wondering; we found the Zune! We ended up losing Gloria a lot of the time through both cons but we finally found her right before we left. There were also several other people I wasn't able to find which bummed me out. Manya lost her badge and Hatsune-Yuna I didn't see at all on Saturday but she had called out for me. Other than that I had a lot of fun! We hung out at the con till 5 and then headed home... On the way home a crazy old lady ran up to me and screamed "I WANT YOUR HAIR!!!!!" ...Yep.

Pros: +Just overall wonderful time enjoyable small con.
+ The attendees were great.
+ Staff was AMAZINGLY sweet and helpful! First time I didn't  have ANY trouble with ANY staff at a convention.
+MC was hilarious at Masquerade.
+People staffing masquerade were very helpful especially  since it was my first time entering a masquerade.
+Dealer's Hall wasn't cramped like most cons, rather spaced  out compared to most.
+Registration was a breeze.
+Panels were awesome.
+Right near Japan Town.

Cons: -Layout was a little odd for the con.
-Artist Alley at the top where there were like 6 booths near  the Dealer's Hall wasn't a good idea it got backed up really  quick and it was hard to make it through.
-Artist Alley below was a little... Awkward as well.
-Photographers taking photos on the steps leading up from  the AA to the Dealer's Hall.
-Wasn't three days, but I still had fun for the two days I was  there. X3

Overall: Wonderful convention I WILL be returning for next  year. I adored this convention and it's staff members, as well  as it's attendees. I was completely amazed with this  convention and I look forward to next year.

***** Stars: It's been a long while since I've posted this many  stars for a convention. I think the last time was my first  convention; Animazement 09. Overall this convention was  amazing and had the same feel that AZ09 had. I will be  returning for 2011.

AOD Gallery: http://s583.photobucket.com/albums/ss274/foxberryconventions/AOD2010/
KValentine's Masquerade Video: (Stein's Segment): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLnWZ9Hh2do

6 comments:

  1. I just now noticed that you commented on my AOD post, haha. I'm a little slow on these things sometimes. Yeah, I was a little confused about not getting first to, but I wasn't about to make a scene. I'm sure the judges were fair, maybe the other guy sewed his entire costume or was more thorough. Honestly, there are a couple parts of my costume that still need touching up, where parts of the jean from my shorts is showing, or green foam on the feet. So I'm just going to tell myself that his was better put-together, heh. But thank you nonetheless ^-^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holiday Anime Faire is hecka tiny, just so you know. There's not really any events other than the costume contest and an all-day raffle. There's some panels and workshops too, but they never interest me. It's pretty much the smallest convention I've ever seen, and the head of it is trying to gear it toward little kids. Just letting you know before you drive all that way D= At least if you show up, I'll have someone to hang out with though xP My boyfriend always seems to miss it.

    And you can definitely still run the Cons101 panel at Kin-Yoobi. Right now, as far as I know, we don't have any other panels lined up, so pretty much whichever day, whenever. The only time that's taken is Friday from 1-3(ish) because it's being turned into a changing room for the fashion show.

    I'll get you price estimates on Artist Alley as soon as I can too =]

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOOOOVED Your Leeloo costume! You were adorable n___n

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do need to check your blog more D= Even if we do PM on CosCom lol

    Last Holiday Anime Faire I'm told had 500 attendees, though it looked as lot smaller. It's a one-day event, so that doesn't really help, but their budget is so tight. If the con head would lissssten to meee, they could draw a lot more people, but nooooo.. Anyway xP She (the con head) keeps trying to make it for little kids D=

    It's decent for just chillin' with people, but anime fans in this town are scary. I must tell you that story. So anyone sane to hang with is a blessing, it's be awesome if you could make it. If all else fails, we could find something else to do in crazy costumes =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually prefer Blogger to most other blogging sites I've been on (though that isn't many). I think I just like how much you can customize everything, while still keeping a uniform look. I dunno. I'm big into customizing, but I hate when people "customize" to the point that I can't find anything on their site. So Blogger works well for me in that aspect =]

    I spoke with the con head of HAF recently, and she says that she needs bigger venue, but she can't get bigger venue without more money, but she can't get more money without a bigger venue. She also has no staff (which is kinda her own fault...) and she says it takes five months of almost constant planning, and she has a lot of other stuff on her plate as well. She manages a shop at the Essenay Silent Film Museum in Niles (Fremont), which is kinda a big thing for people really into film, so it's a big job. And she organizes a bunch of other events in the Fremont Teen Center (Where HAF and CAAT are held) soooo. Yeah. She says she doesn't know if HAF will happen again this year.

    As for making it for kids, ehh... I have no idea why she did that. I think she needs to learn the difference between "Child-friendly" and "Child-oriented." I believe most cons should be child-friendly, but not centered around them. But that's just me. xP

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blogger needs a more efficient messaging system. I know you can send messages somehow, but it's impossible to find D=

    Yeah, keeping a blog MADE me active, which is why I started the blog in the first place. Posting over and over again "I did nothing" made me realize how much precious potential cosplay time I waste D=

    Tumblr actually does look nice =O It looks like you can have multiple pages too (one for blogging, one for info, etc.), which you can kinda do here, but it's not as clean here.

    And, yeah, the lady running HAF doesn't really know anything about anime, so I think it was a lost cause from the start =[ It was just nice to have a con in the city I live in.

    I've never tried Lichi or Honeydew Melon Ramune =O I like Peach and Strawberry =D I think the "fizzy stuff in an aluminum bottle" (lol) is what I got. When I checked the label, it was the same brand as Ramune though, so idk xP Strawberry Hi-Chews are indeed the best too =]

    ReplyDelete

When commenting please remember to use common sense! Keep all NC17 comments to yourself, do not advertise or troll/flame. Moderation is in place, however Anon is allowed.

Welcome!

Welcome to Foxberry's Con Report! Feel free to leave a little note or comment on any of my blogs. I will be reporting from local area Japanese Anime Conventions and various other events, so be sure to check in usually the day after an event!